Living Proof Church
United Baptist Church
P.O. Box 115
38 Pompey Hollow Rd
Ashford, CT 06278
Worship Service- 10:15 am
What We Believe
Summary of Our Fundamental Beliefs
1. We believe that the sixty-six books of the Bible are the ultimate authority in all matters (All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 NLT).
2. We believe that there is only one God and He exists in three parts- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Deuteronomy 6:4; Genesis 1:26).
3. Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, was born of a virgin and is both fully God and fully human (Matthew 1:20; John 1:1-4,14; Colossians 1:15-20; Hebrews 1:1-3).
4. Jesus died as a substitute to pay the penalty for sin by being crucified and then physically raising from the dead. He ascended into heaven and will one day physically return for his people (John 10:1-18; Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Matthew 28:1-20; Acts 1:11; 1 Thessalonians 4:16; Revelation 1:7).
5. When Jesus left the earth, he sent the Holy Spirit to help, comfort, assure, and dwell within those who trust Jesus for salvation. The Holy Spirit is fully God and testifies that Jesus is Lord. He helps believers understand the Scriptures and empowers them to live the Christian life (John 14:25-29; Romans 8:9-16; Acts 5:3-4; John 15:26; Ephesians 1:17; 2 Peter 1:20-21; Acts 1:8).
6. Everyone is a sinner. The deserved penalty for sin is death, both physical and spiritual. Sin separates man from God (Genesis 6:5; Psalm 51:5; Jeremiah 17:9; Romans 3:23, 5:8, 5:12-21, 7:18).
7. Only by trusting in the person and work of Jesus Christ alone can a person be reconciled to God and experience true life and joy (John 3:16-18; Acts 4:12; Romans 3:21-26).
8. There will be a future physical resurrection of the dead. Those who trust in Jesus Christ alone will be raised to be with God forever and be eternally rewarded by him. Those who have not trusted in Jesus will be raised to eternal punishment (Matthew 25:31-46; John 5:28-29; Acts 24:15).
9. As believers in Jesus Christ, we believe in baptism by immersion as a public demonstration that we have died to our old lives and now live as a new creation for Christ (Acts 19:4-5; Romans 6:1-7; 1 Peter 3:21-22; 2 Corinthians 5:17).
10. The Church is the universal and local group of people Jesus has called out of the world to be his own. It is the Body of Christ acting as Jesus’ hands and feet here on earth, the Bride of Christ, bought with a price and the household of Christ, a place where believers are to love one another, show hospitality, serve each other, make allowance for one another’s faults, hold each other accountable for living a Godly life, and receive healing (Matthew 16:13-19; Romans 12:3-8; Ephesians 5:25-27; Revelation 21; 1 Peter 4:8-10; Colossians 3:12-17; Galatians 6:1; James 5:14-20).